Friday 27 May 2011

The garden is beginning to get interesting

I have been remiss at posting but I am back!

I have been on my Introduction to Permaculture course. It was very interesting. The people were very friendly but I felt a bit out of place at times. My experience in environmentalism is minimal but my interest is growing.

This week I bought 2 rather fetching pairs of Converse shoes and became vegetarian. So far I am not missing meat. I am still cooking meat. I can't see my omnivorous gang refraining from flesh anytime soon. My eldest son has been eating some of my vegetarian fayre which is encouraging. It is mind boggling the amount of resources used to produce meat. The smell of bacon tomorrow will be a test. I am most missing chorizo. I am still eating eggs and dairy. I can't seeing me chucking out my leather goods and turning vegan any time soon. A life without cheese, would be too hard to bear!

My first potato crop should be ready soon. It has been great eating all the salad from the gardening. I am not quite into the habit of regular sowing for constant crops. Today I harvested some radishes and sowed some carrots, iceberg lettuce and some poppies. The flowers in the garden and I am looking forward to more blooms. I will be eating my own courgettes soon. The plants have lovely bright yellow flowers. I may have to deep fry them, a la Jamie Oliver.

I hope to post some more pictures of my little polyculture project soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment